Not all That Glitters is Sold
A gold pocket watch from 1904. A pair of Tiffany and Co. 14 karat gold opera glasses with a felt bag. And a diamond solitaire ring.
These precious artifacts make up the Enos Wall Collection that the Utah Division of State History cares for.
Enos Wall was a prominent miner during the late 1800s and early 1900s, and was one of the most well known at the time. Some may recognize his name from the historic Wall Mansion at 411 East South Temple. Architect Richard Kletting, who designed the State Capitol Building, remodeled the mansion for Wall in the style of a Renaissance villa, including the luxuries of an elevator and a ballroom. The LDS Church donated the mansion to the University of Utah in 2014, and it is has now been renamed as the Thomas S. Monson Center.
Wall, originally from Indiana, worked as a miner in Colorado in the 1860s, and then continued to Montana, Utah and Idaho, and eventually settled down in Utah in 1904.
Wall discovered the potential of copper mining in Bingham Canyon and started the Utah Copper Company, which we know today as Kennecott Utah Copper.
During his life in Salt Lake City, Wall was an active member of the civic affairs in the city. He was chairman of the Board of Public Works, president of the Alta club, and was invited along with his wife to one of President Theodore Roosevelt’s White House receptions.
Utah State History cares for a collection of Wall’s belongings, which were donated by Alan Dadisman, the grandson of one of Wall’s daughters, Selma.
Delicate, elaborate decorations are seen along Wall’s gold pocket watch and opera glasses. On the watch, the letters “EAW” are engraved on the front, and on the inside a message reads “Col. E.A. Wall, From Mama & the Girls, Dec. 25, 1904.”
State artifacts like these and many more preserve and share Utah’s history for following generations.
Unfortunately the conditions that they are being cared for in the basement of the Rio Grande Depot are not ideal, and the Utah Department of Heritage & Arts proposes an artifacts and art center to care for these pieces of history so that we can continue to cherish and learn from them.
Written by Michelle James